A thread is a sequence of instructions in a program which can be executed independently of other code. We can also say that thread is subset of a process and a process is made up of many threads.
Threads sometimes called light-weight processes, and they do not require much memory overhead; they are cheaper than processes.
A thread has a starting point, an execution sequence, and a result.
We have a module thread in python. We can easily import it in our program.
We have another module threading.
Threading module is used for creating, controlling and managing threads in python program.
Some common functions of the threading module in python:-
- threading.activeCount() − Returns the number of thread objects that are active.
- threading.currentThread() − Returns the number of thread objects in the caller’s thread control.
- threading.enumerate() − Returns a list of all thread objects that are currently active.
The threading module also provides many classes whose objects are very useful in creating and managing threads.
- thread- Object that represents a single thread of execution.
- Lock- Primitive lock object.
- Timer- Similar to Thread, except that it waits for a specified period of time before running.
This is all about threading module in python.